"(What time you have) is not for you to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -Gandalf the Fellowship of The Ring
My moment was crouching on the floor of my parents bedroom in the dark, a laptop scorching my thighs, watching the Lord of The Rings.
I know, I know the epitome of geek-dom. A vortex of self destructive obsession. Nevertheless I sat one lazy fifth grade weekend at one fifteen on a Saturday night. My father a fellow fan, forced me to read the books before I started on the movies, we all know how that turns out.
Of course I loved them devouring the books and masquerading for days as an elf or a savior of the last kingdom of men, rising up against Sauron.
So there I was in the middle of the second disk of six in the boxed set. The Fellowship Of The Ring, the fellowship had made it across the bridge of Khazad-Dum but Gandalf turned and faced the Balrog. Raising up his sword and staff together he cried, "You Shall Not Pass!" He pulled the weapons down together. Then the Balrog fell through the crumbling bridge into the darkness and Gandalf with it.
Click Here For A Brief Clip Of Gandalf From The Movie
I almost stopped breathing entirely, our main character Frodo though had much more of a reason. Gandalf, a mentor and father to Frodo, left him with despair and a daunting task ahead; while I had to take a pudding break due to my excessive blubbering and sobbing. It gave me a little bit of time to think.
How could Gandalf die, he was so immortal, so powerful, so gracefull. It made my head spin. Gandalf was wise and kind he had all of the answers, without him how can we go on, it was like a kick in the ribs, hard to breathe even harder to move. We saw the grief in Merry and Pipin's tears, in Gimli's despair and Boramir's pain. It was so unbelievable, how could Frodo carry the ring on into Mordor.
But he would have to, for Frodo as we all, must carry on.
And for me that daunting task might just be getting into my top-choice High School. If you have any thoughts or comments about how a story or a song helped you carry on or about the story itself, please post a comment below.

Pia, this is great, i really like the "geek-dom" thing, and this is so well written! like the picture too. (and i really was sad at that part in teh movie)
ReplyDeleteoh my god, i remember that scene!!!!!! I was crying so hard and I don't even know the movies very well- I've only seen parts here and there when my brother's watching them. Reminds me of Dumbledore's death :'( (don't make fun of me, you know it's true)
ReplyDeleteBy the way pia,
ReplyDeletethis blog post kicks butt!
i just love the description, and i can totally relate to it! i felt the same way!
my favorite line was:
"But he would have to, for Frodo as we all, must carry on."
love
izzy
nice use of multi-media, Pia. I love all the details you tucked into this one post...you as a child, connections to your life now, and of course the unpacking of the scene. It actually reminds me of our book club conversation about the passion/quest of harry, ron and hermione. great work.
ReplyDeletepia, this is great. even if that is a craaazy picture of frodo.
ReplyDeletei had one of those "oh my god how could he die" moments the other day. my dad had got me this jeff buckley cd and i was listening to it, and i'm telling you this guys voice is absolutely incredible, the album is totally epic. anyway, i said to my dad "dad i am going to marry jeff buckley he's really cute" and my dad said "annie he drowned in the mississippi river the year you were born" and i was absolutely devastated, i was like "why did he jump in the river with his boots on? how could such an amazing voice die?" sorry, i had to say that, just a total "i know how you feel" moment. great post.
I LOVE THIS!!! everyone else already said what i was going to say. it was really good and i love how you had a photo and clip of lord of the rings. =)
ReplyDeletePia! This was so interesting to read. I loved it! As a fellow forced-to-read-the-books-by-your-father, I totally understand your point. I've never really thought of writing the way you did. Really inspirational for future blog posts.:) :)
ReplyDeleteGreat job!
haha, funny pic of Frodo.
thank you guys for your comments
ReplyDelete